Thursday, June 12, 2008

Smart Driving / Smart Money


Often we get so addicted to convenience that we sometimes forget that our habits have enormous impact on our pocket books. Becky often packs me a delicious and nutritious lunch that includes tasty tidbits from all the major food groups. Not only are her lunches yummy, but they always come included with a special love note written on the napkin. I keep a special supply of napkins in my credenza which I actually use to wipe morsels from my cranium. This allows me to archive the love-note-napkins for future reference. I've got a tidy stack of them about a foot and a half high now.


Not only do these lunches provide sufficient blood sugar to my brain, but they also save me hundreds of dollars in expensive lunches when looked at over a period of time. On average lunch out costs between 6 or 7 dollars. If I eat the brown bag lunch I save 100 bucks in just three business weeks. That number has a substantial comma in it when computed annually.

Frankly these days money is tight for all of us. We work hard for the money. (I know you are humming the tune in your mind right now.) I thought it would be a good thing for all of us to do two things. 1. Evaluate our spending habits and 2. Modify our spending habits.
Someone once said happiness is learning to delay getting what we want now for what we want most. This applies to to many things in life including our moral choices. It also applies to using our money wisely.
The first 10% of our money we should give to the Lord. The second 10%-20% is ours to keep. I.e., we should save it and let our money work for us and to use for a raining day (and when the radiator on the car blows). A big chunk goes to Uncle Sam and there's not much left. Inflation is skyrocketing and is not likely going to ease soon. So we need to use the remainder wisely.
So I offer some patriarchal suggestions. Take time, now, pronto, today to assess you spending habits, and then make some changes. Consider your convenience store purchases and stop making them. I refill water bottles at work. Make a list before going to the store. Grow vegetables in your garden. Get up 15 minutes earlier and take the bus. Use the time to blog, read and ponder. When you drive, list all of the errands you have to make and then route your course. If you owned a taxi company you'd do this.
The family economy depends on everyone doing their part, so go green (I can't believe I just said that). We are all stewards of God's blessings and need to be wise in our stewardship's. So if saving money motivates you to change, hooray. If you are more convicted to save the world and is saves money, then hoorah.
One man's logo may be another man's plasma. Yippee. Mom and I appreciate every contribution. Remember, often in life our biggest sacrifices often become our most cherished memories.
As Petrol costs are outrageous and only getting worse, I built a handy little calculator to help you see how much gasoline really costs. It also illustrates the real costs of driving. I encourage you to click the link below and plug in your numbers. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comments section.

5 comments:

LivSimpl said...

Great post! I've been thinking about this a lot lately too, especially when I saw our cell phone bill. Yikes. Time to bump down the minutes and cut the text messaging.

Some thoughts:

1. I can't believe you said "go green" either. But congratulations nonetheless.

2. Are you getting a plasma TV?

3. I keep Amy's notes that she writes on my napkins too.

4. Taking TRAX really is great, despite taking a bit longer overall.

5. My captcha is WDWOCK.

Amy said...

Dad, thanks for the post! The calculator is really cool. Once gas hits $4.50 it's cheaper for me to do it at the Alta Pines.

Anonymous said...

Amy, Do What?

Eric said...

I have to admit that for Eric and I the motivation is saving money rather than going green. Its no fun looking at your expenses and making cuts. All the fun stuff suddenly disappears. Oh, to be a child again and have no idea of money woes.

Amy said...

LOL ummm that would be laundry. cheapr to do laudry at the Alta Pines.